Our oceans and marine life are in serious danger and it was important to us from the beginning to donate back to Sea Turtle and Ocean Conversation projects around the world.
The fact is we NEED and DEPEND of a healthy ocean and reefs as much as we need our trees and our forests.
We are working hand and hand with organizations that are actively helping to protect our oceans. 👇
GILI ECO TRUST
We chose to partner with the Gili Eco Trust, a local non-profit organization committed to coral reef restoration, waste management, sustainable tourism, environmental education and animal welfare on Gili Trawangan, Lombok, Indonesia.
The Gili Eco Trust focuses on conservation, preservation, education, and restoration of the Gili Matra Marine Protected Area. I’ve seen hands on the eco projects they’re worked on and was excited to start working with them on our own conservation project.
The Gili Eco Trust is well know around the area and if you have ever been to the Gilis, you may have noticed that you are required to an ocean entrance fee to snorkel or dive in the ocean. That money goes directly to the Gili Eco Trust to help support conservation efforts in the area to maintain and encourage a sustainable experience for locals, tourists and marine life.
The PI team worked with the Gili Eco Trust on rebuilding the coral reef. We fully sponsored the build and drop of a massive 10-foot bio rock in Gili Trawangan.
Since installing our bio-rock in Gili Trawangan, the bio-rock has been home to hundreds of fish. A turtle was even spotted hanging out in the cavern that was created by the arches!
A bio-rock is a great way to preserve a coral reef, but nothing compares when it comes to protecting the reefs that we currently have. Each of us can help make a difference every time we enter the ocean. See our blog Why the Sun Block You are Wearing is Destroying the Ocean for tips on how you can do your part to protect the reefs!
CORAL RESTORATION FOUNDATION
We helped construct some of the tree structures that would be installed in the nursery and also donated to their fundraising event.
WORLD WILDLIFE FUND
In September 2020, PIYOGA donated to the World Wildlife Fund. The WWF provides education on sea turtles and the daily threats that they face on a day to day basis. They also offer sea turtle adoption kits for animal lovers that come with a cute gift basket and more information about sea turtles. This organization provides tips for living a more conscious life with the sea turtles in mind. Here are some shocking facts we learned from them:
“Over the last 200 years, human activities have tipped the scales against the survival of these ancient mariners. Slaughtered for their eggs, meat, skin, and shells, sea turtles suffer from poaching and over-exploitation. They also face habitat destruction and accidental capture—known as bycatch—in fishing gear. Climate change has an impact on turtle nesting sites; it alters sand temperatures, which then affects the sex of hatchlings. Nearly all species of sea turtle are now classified as endangered, with three of the seven existing species being critically endangered.” -WWF
By donating to the WWF we are helping:
- Indigenous partners investigate the fibro papilloma virus in marine turtles
- Promote sustainable fishing practices
- Ban key pesticides that pose unacceptable risks to marine turtles
- The WWF work to increase habitat protection in key marine turtle areas
🐠 Watch Chasing Coral to understand what is happening underwater and how fast the coral is disappearing.
- Chasing Coral is a 2017 documentary film about a team of divers, scientists and photographers around the world who document the disappearance of coral reefs. They are taking urgent actions and raise awareness to keep global marine environment healthy.
- We donated to their raffle and helped raise money during World Oceans Day to donate back to Blue Sphere Foundation
👉 Click here to learn more
HOW WE CAN HELP IN OUR DAY TO DAY LIVES
Coral Reefs are the most important and diverse ecosystems on the planet, supporting 25% of marine life in our ocean. At the moment, 75% of the coral reefs in the world are in great danger.
- 🐄 Watch Cowspiracy. Learn about the impact the meat and dairy industry has on our environment. Animal agriculture is responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.
- Did you know... Eating one burger consumes the same amount of water as 2 months of showering? 😳
- Start by making simple yet powerful changes
- 🔅 Switch to reef safe sunscreen without oxybenzone, a chemical that is very dangerous for coral reef and marine life.
- 🌱 Start by introducing one vegetarian or vegan day into your week to move towards a more plant based diet.
- ♻ Reduce your waste and remember to re-use & recycle - research where you can buy in bulk in your area, say no to plastic bags and straws. Remember to buy local and in season.
- 🙌 By supporting PI, you are helping us to make our mission to save the sea turtle a reality. We proudly donate 10% of our net profits to sea turtle and ocean conservation projects around the world.